One thing I loved about Copenhagen was the fact that no matter how cold it got people would always eat and drink outside. The restaurants and cafes would add blankets and heaters and people would crowd on to the terraces late in to the night.
One thing I found helped when I was out there was drinking lots of warm beverages and with apples in such plentiful supply right now my Mulled Apple Juice not only goes down a treat but also keeps you warm and the temperatures dip.
This version happens to be non-alcoholic but could you add some booze and still have it taste as delicious?…OH MY GOD YES!
I remember making these for the first time when I was hosting a Halloween/Bonfire Night celebration in my garden during the day. There were lots of children and lots of parents so no booze was added and I decorated them with the Cinnamon sticks.
This is a very quick and easy recipe and you do not have to juice your own apples. I know that juicers are plentiful nowadays but if you’re stretched for time then a good quality apple juice will work just as well.
Have a lovely time making it and do feel free to upload your own pictures to my Facebook page if you do. Huge love, C
Mulled Apple Juice
- Large Non-aluminum pan
- 6 500ml glasses or jars
- 2.5 ltr Freshly Pressed Apple Juice (approx 18-20 apples or use a good quality apple juice)
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger (heaped)
- 2 12cm Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 pinch Allspice (large)
- 1 Apple (sliced)
- Wash, cored and juice the apples if you are juicing your own.
- Mix the ginger, cinnamon and allspice with the apple juice in the pan.
- Bring the liquid very slowly to a gentle boil. This should take about 10-15 mins.
- Turn the heat down and simmer gently for a further 20mins
- Serve warm, pouring gently in to a glass or jar containing a slice of apple.