How To Make A Cushion Cover With A Zip
This very simple how-to for making a cushion cover with a zip will have you using up all of your left over fabric pieces in no time.
The measurements given here are to cover a 50 x 50cm cushion pad.
- Start by cutting your chosen fabric into two squares, each measuring 58 x 58 cm, this allows extra fabric on each side for the seams.
- Pin a hem of approximately 1cm along one side of each of the square fabric pieces.
- Machine the hems in place.
- Then fold both the hems you have just machined over once again thus creating a double hem
- Next, open the zipper and pin to both sides of the double hem on the inside of the fabric, like the above picture.
- Leave a 2-3mm of excess fabric just above the teeth of the zipper, once the zipper is sewn in place the extra lip of fabric will help to hide the zipper when it is pulled closed.
- Don’t worry if there’s a little fabric left over at the end of each end of the zipper, you will be able to trim this off later.
- Machine the pinned zipper in place.
Note: Depending on the sewing machine you are using, you may have to close the zipper and then re-open it whilst machining it in place as the presser foot on the machine may get in the way.
- Once machined to the fabric, the zipper should not be visible when pulled shut due to the fabric lip
- Fold the fabric squares together so that both patterned sides of the fabric are facing each other and the cushion cover appears inside out.
- Start pinning the remaining three side of the cushion shut. Use either end of the zipper as a guide to where to start pinning so that the seam of the cushion should be in line with each end of the zipper (this is approximately 2 cm in from the edge of your fabric on all three sides.)
- Use the pins as a guide to follow when machining the three remaining sides closed.
- Cut off any reamining fabric from the sides once they have been machine closed…
- …and snip off any excess fabric from the corners, this will help to make the cushion cover look neater once turned back the right way.
Now position your new cushion cover in a spot where everyone can see it.
Have a great day.
Don’t forget you can join my Facebook page!
Feel free to add me to your links list. Here it is ! - http://www.cherrymenlove.com/